Choice and Courage


Taking up your cross can be taken to mean simply doing the hard thing because it is the right thing.  Which thing?  That thing that you need to do.  It’s between you and God.  It’s your choice to do it, and if you do choose, God will give you the courage to follow through.

I’ll tell you one hard thing I’m doing.  I’m paying attention.  I’m listening to news I’d rather tune out for my own peace of mind, though I am trying to avoid the gossip that passes for news. I’m learning about the Powers in our time and the people who are being crushed by them and I’m using all my spiritual tools to protect myself from the meanness and desperation around politics that early Christians would call demonic.  I’m going to stay woke, as they say, and keep my gospel values, and I’m figuring out where and how I can take some small actions for reconciliation or for justice.

*****
Brea Congregational United Church of Christ   
February 25, 2018

Choice and Courage

Mark 8:31-38   Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.  32 He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.  33 But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
         34  He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.  36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?  37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life?  38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

 (My spoken version diverged from this considerably; check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/56642580963/ if you're curious.)

Jesus needs to talk to some marketing experts.  This “take up your cross” thing is not going to go over well in recruiting followers. Ask the prosperity gospel preachers; they’ll tell you to just skip this passage altogether.  The story sells better if you say only Jesus had a cross.  Since he obviously overcame it, we can just jump on his bandwagon to ascend to heaven.

Mark clearly did not consult the marketing experts because he doesn’t hold back in this passage at all.  “Get behind me, Satan,” says Jesus to Peter.  Jesus wasn’t speaking to Peter at all. He was speaking to the temptation Peter gave him. Yes, according to Mark Jesus was really tempted, because Jesus was really human. The temptation went, “You don’t have to do this the hard way, Jesus.  You can just be a law-bending rabbi, settle down in Galilee, a safe distance from Roman power and the corrupt Temple leaders in Jerusalem.  You don’t need to make a stand before the Powers that Be.” But apparently he did.  And according to Mark, so do we. 

The cross is a pivotal symbol of our faith.  As any pivotal symbol, it has been understood different ways.  But the original meaning of the cross before Christianity was: an instrument of torture used by the Roman empire not only to kill criminals and enemies of the state, but to shame them utterly, deny them humanity; to make of them such horrors as to terrorize their family and community into submission. Only it didn’t work with Jesus and his followers. 

Until the fourth century after Jesus’ death, the cross was not widely displayed by Christians.  Only after crucifixion was banned in the Roman Empire did the symbol of the cross take hold. The cross was the means to an end, an obstacle that was overcome.  So we don’t get to glorify or seek out suffering.  (Actually for me that’s never been an issue.) But neither do we always get to take the easy way out, when we are called to love and serve as Jesus showed us. 

The cross is strong medicine.  Strong medicine, taken in the right amount, for the right purpose, can save.  Taken at the wrong time, it can do great harm.  So you won’t hear me preaching about the cross every week.

In Catholic grade school my teachers thought it fitting to bring us into the sanctuary each Lent to walk the stations of the cross.  This is a long meditation on fourteen different detailed images of Jesus’ suffering and death, for the purpose of immersing oneself in the experience. The stations of the cross form the plotline of the movie “The Passion of the Christ,” rated “R.” Strong medicine. Possibly appropriate for some adults.  Never appropriate for a child with a good imagination.

It is natural for us to recoil from suffering. It is healthy. Yet sometimes we can’t avoid suffering.  We are also very capable of facing suffering when it is for a good purpose.  My husband Scott and I were debating which is more painful, a kidney stone or natural childbirth. He had the kidney stone, and I had the natural childbirth. I’m pretty sure his was worse. Pain level aside, there is nothing redeeming about a kidney stone; it is just something to be endured.  The pain of childbirth has an awesome purpose. 

Most Christians are pretty sure Jesus endured the cross for a good purpose.  We differ, however, on what that purpose was. New Testament writers differ on what that purpose was.  Theologians have argued about this extensively.  A variety of explanations have been given; you can track them down in Wikipedia under Atonement in Christianity.

Let me say a few words about the most common understanding of what Jesus accomplished on the cross.  Substitutionary atonement has been the dominant explanation in the Western church for many centuries. Substitutionary: Jesus substituted himself for us, took our punishment to pay our debt to God, the great lawgiver in the sky who required the death penalty from all of us for our sins. Atonement- we are at one now, all good. Does this make sense to you? It makes Jesus sound so heroic and generous… and it paints a picture of God the punishing Father that I want nothing to do with. But then, God accepted the sacrifice and became loving and forgiving, so this works for some people. I think this is basically Paul’s view– and maybe understandable with the personal load of guilt that Paul had. 

Taking up your cross and following Jesus makes no sense if the point of the cross is substitutionary atonement.  Jesus already did the work; put that cross down!  So let’s try a view that may resonate better with you: moral influence atonement.  Kind of a lame name.  Jesus went to the cross to show us the lengths to which his love, God’s love, would go to get through to us; to death and beyond.  We can trust that he truly accepts us.  And in relationship with him we can stop being selfish and love generously too. To the extent that liberal Christians deal with the cross at all, it has usually been with this understanding. 

To some people, this understanding of the cross seems wimpy. And if you keep the whole experience at arm’s length, I suppose it is.  But if you seek to draw close to such a radical love, in my experience, it is transformative.  Let us call this drawing close participatory atonement. When we follow Jesus we are invited, in our own small way, to sacrifice ourselves, so that we can be transformed.  To lose our life, so that we can find it

I suppose the stations of the cross were participatory in a way.  Well, they backfired on me pretty spectacularly. A reminder not to force any interpretation of the cross onto someone else.

In Mark’s view, Jesus didn’t get a cross because Rome made a mistake, or was tricked by God or Jewish leaders into executing an innocent man. For Mark, the cross is Jesus going before us to face the worst that the Powers of empire and warped values and death-dealing injustice can dish out. Jesus became powerless and helpless, the lowest of the low, and was crushed to death, and yet his life, his Spirit, could not be crushed, and he lived on in and with his followers, and lives on still.

Those of us who are in positions of comfort and power get invited to follow Jesus into places we don’t want to go.  Matthew got a little more systematic about it; in his Gospel, Jesus says, whatever you do to the least of these, you do to me.  If we refuse to let go of comfort and status for those who have none, how could we enter an upside-down Kingdom?

Wow, this is hard.  Participating in Jesus’ work of the cross is incompatible with capitalism and nationalism and war or political feuding.  It is incompatible with NIMBY and gated communities. People who embrace the cross fully are the saints and revolutionaries, people so courageous we want to be inspired by them, but maybe not too much; it would be too hard. No wonder substitutionary atonement won the theological debates in the church of the Roman Empire, and is still winning many places today.  Substitutionary atonement is a transaction between the individual and God.  It allows systematic injustice go unchallenged.

So, how will we take up our crosses? One thing I want to make very clear: your cross is the cross you are given by God, that you accept of your own choice, and not the one any human being forces on you. How convenient if someone in power goes about assigning powerless people their oppression with the church’s blessings.  One of the ways this strong medicine has been warped is by church authorities telling victims of domestic violence: well, this is just your cross to bear.  Slave owners and the religion of slave owners used to tell slaves that their bondage was their cross to bear.  Bosses have told laborers that unsafe or degrading working conditions were their cross to bear.  Nobody gets to tell you what is and what isn’t your cross. That’s between you and God.

Taking up your cross can be taken to mean simply doing the hard thing because it is the right thing.  Which thing?  That thing that you need to do.  It’s between you and God.  It’s your choice to do it, and if you do choose, God will give you the courage to follow through.

I’ll tell you one hard thing I’m doing.  I’m paying attention.  I’m listening to news I’d rather tune out for my own peace of mind, though I am trying to avoid the gossip that passes for news. I’m learning about the Powers in our time and the people who are being crushed by them and I’m using all my spiritual tools to protect myself from the meanness and desperation around politics that early Christians would call demonic.  I’m going to stay woke, as they say, and keep my gospel values, and I’m figuring out where and how I can take some small actions for reconciliation or for justice.

This church did a hard thing, the right thing, by becoming open and affirming; publicly proclaiming gay and lesbian and bisexual and transgender and queer people, among others, are welcome here.  You do a hard thing, the right thing, when you make your hall into a homeless shelter each summer and treat the people in it with respect and care.

The first time I helped out in a homeless shelter was in a church basement in Minneapolis in 1992. I was very excited to be walking the talk of my newly recommitted Christian faith.  I was also petty scared that as one of two overnight volunteers in that large shelter I would be getting four hours off duty to sleep. I wasn’t in the least scared about being a young woman and the only volunteer staff in a room full of forty people.  My cross looks different from your cross.

Before I arrived, I was tutored by my friend Ardys.  Ardys liked to cooked piles of roast chicken for the guests, and she said, “You have to go sit with them and talk with them and hear their stories.” So I had a long talk with Ed. Ed had open-heart surgery not long before, and between not being able to work and not being able to pay his medical bills, that surgery made him homeless. See how the Powers hide their dirty work?  Surgery didn’t make him homeless. Having no sick time or medical coverage made him homeless.

I noticed that the crew that was cooking that night didn’t sit with the guests; they ate in the kitchen.  Actually eating with homeless people was out of their comfort zone, I suppose.  Their loss.  At lights out, a guest who was bent out of shape at getting his TV show interrupted grumbled at me, “You people don’t care about us, you’re just here for the money.” 

“Excuse me sir,’ I said.  “I am a volunteer.” Hearing me, his jaw dropped.  He apologized.  “Really? You’re doing that for us, for free?”  He looked like I had just given him a surprise birthday party.

That was the first time I learned a lesson about carrying crosses that I’ve relearned many times since.  You can’t carry someone else’s cross.  But when they know that you are beside them, and you care, their cross can feel a whole lot lighter.

Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. Losing the life we think we should have according to our plans, to participate in something bigger than us.  Living for a purpose, God’s purpose.  Participating in the upside-down Kingdom where nobody is rejected.  Living courageously.  Living faithfully. 

Our sanctuary cross is empty, because Jesus didn’t stay on it.  And we don’t have to either. Nor should any human being. With Jesus’ help, we can choose to carry our cross with courage, and we can also join Jesus at the very large and joyful and abundant celebration that is the Kingdom of God, on earth as it is in heaven.  Amen.   






No comments:

Post a Comment